Virtual Classroom Workshop: Sensory Storytime
Discover the animals of Leeds City Museum through this interactive storytelling session! The children will be sent on a quick scavenger hunt around their homes at the start of the session, or you can send a list to parents in advance. This is to find simple, household items to make the session hands-on and multi-sensory. We will suggest easy props to engage most of the senses! We end the session with a singalong.
We can deliver this sensory story session through Zoom Pro, connecting your children in school with families learning at home.
- The Leeds Hippo, an animated story
- The Museum Whale
- The Museum Panda & Chinese New Year
We have been running some of these sensory story sessions for free for families. This is a chance to book it exclusively for your group, for a small charge.
Duration: 30 mins
Suitable for: Early Years, Key Stage 1, LKS2 or SEND
Capacity: 1 class per session
Sessions run: Tuesday and Thursday
Suggested times: 10.30am or 1.30pm – please let us know if you would like to alter these times slightly in line with your timetable.
Ahead of the workshop we will:
- Organise a test video call with the teacher
- Discuss SEND/access needs if required
- Send an introduction pack with a few suggested hands-on elements for the teacher and families at home to prepare beforehand. These are designed to be simple and readily available.
- Share health & safety and safeguarding plans
- Link to suggested follow-up activities on our website and MyLearning.org
During the virtual classroom workshop we will:
- Send you all on a simple scavenger hunt to find props at school or home, if you don’t have these prepared in advance.
- Introduce the story with an images of Leeds City Museum objects or animals
- Use our imaginations and sensory props to feel like we’re in the story!
- End with a singalong
“We loved the hunt we did at the beginning and all the different objects we had to get to use along the way in the story. It made you feel you were actually in the book.” – Parent from a recent family session.
Please note, school visits to the Museum are not currently possible.
To find out more or to book your session please email us at [email protected] and a member of the team will be in touch.