This is the earliest inventory of Temple Newsam House, created 500 years ago during the reign of King Henry VIII. The house had recently been built on a grand scale for a powerful nobleman, Thomas, Lord Darcy. It was designed as a centre from which to exert his power. The inventory lists the movable contents contained in different rooms, whilst providing clues to the layout of the house, as it logically moves from room to room. It is in the collections of the National Archives.
Parts of the Tudor house still exist, but the Temple Newsam House that has developed over the following centuries is very different to Darcy’s house. Over 500 years Temple Newsam has been greatly altered, adapting to the requirements of subsequent owners. The accompanying sound work by Catherine Bertola brings the 1520 inventory to life as a Modern English translation read by current members of staff — the people who care for the objects contained within the house today.
The images of the inventory are courtesy of the National Archives ref. E154/2/18.