What is open?
The below areas are open and admission charges have been suspended. We will reinstate admission charges on Monday 12th April 2020. Prices and booking details can be found on our visit page.
- Gates: 8am – 6pm
- Grounds and gardens: 8am – 6pm
- Wildlife World: from 12th April 10am – 5pm
- Café (takeaway): 10am – 4pm
- Toilets: 9am – 5pm
- Playgrounds: 10am – 5pm
Last admission is 45 minutes before closure.
Please continue to follow guidance around social distancing during your visit.
Please be aware that the gates to the grounds are locked at 6pm.
Do I need to book to visit?
Yes, in order to protect everyone who visits and works at Lotherton we have a timed-entry booking system in place.
All visitors, including members, Leeds and MAX card holders require a free ticket to visit between 9am – 4pm. From Monday 12th April we will reinstate admission charges and pre-booking will remain in place to support social distancing.
Admission to Lotherton is free to Lotherton Members, members of the Leeds Art Fund, Friends of Leeds City Museums, the Museums Association, the National Arts Collection Fund, Yorkshire’s Great Houses Castles and Garden card holders and MAX card holders. Please note that you must still pre-book a free ticket online or by phone to visit Lotherton and present relevant proof of membership with your ticket on arrival.
Tickets can be booked up to a month in advance and up to two hours before your preferred timed-entry slot, as long as there are tickets available.
We continue to limit numbers based on available car parking facilities and to maintain social distancing. We encourage local visitors only during this time.
- Book your ticket online or by phone on 0113 376 0318 (Mon – Fri, 10am – 4pm)
- Book one ticket per person, under 5s are exempt.
- Limited hourly ticket slots are available from 9am – 4pm daily in the following slots:
- 9 – 10am
- 10 – 11am
- 11 – 12pm
- 12 – 1pm
- 1 – 2pm
- 2 – 3pm
- 3 – 4pm
- Tickets can be shown on your phone or by printing them out
- You may book up to two hours before your preferred timed-entry slot, if there are tickets still available.
- We recommend allowing around 1 hour for your visit to the grounds and gardens
- Tickets are for your use only
- We will send a booking confirmation via email, please get in touch if you do not receive this.
If you decide to visit without pre-booking we will be unable to guarantee entry to the estate, please book in advance to avoid any disappointment.
What happens when I arrive?
Please have your ticket ready before you arrive, either on your phone or as a printed copy. If you are a Lotherton member or a member of one of the above named organisations please also present your proof of membership on entry.
Arrive promptly within your allocated slot as unfortunately we cannot guarantee admission if you are late. Our staff will advise whether there is available car parking and visitor numbers are within safe limits to maintain social distancing.
To keep everyone safe whilst at Lotherton we have put additional signage around the estate to remind everyone to maintain social distancing and regularly sanitize hands. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, or if you’ve been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 10 days, please don’t visit and stay safe until you are well again.
We request that all visitors wear a face covering when indoors (shops, toilets, cafe, Hall, Wildlife World indoor enclosures), unless you are exempt.
Wildlife World and our indoor spaces have revised one-way visitor routes in place. Please follow signage and speak to staff if you are unsure.
Our gated playground has a visitor capacity limit on the entrance gate and we expect all visitors to adhere to this as the playground is unmanned.
We are working hard to maintain our spaces but our gardens, woodland and surrounding grounds may look different whilst we operate with reduced staff and volunteers.
What will happen to my annual membership?
All current memberships will be adjusted to reflect the period of closure to ensure that everyone can get the full use of their annual membership.
We will be combining the November 2020 and January – March 2021 England lockdown periods and applying relevant extensions to memberships.
All members will be contactedregarding their new expiry date in Spring.
If you are a member and do not receive emails from us, please let us know at [email protected]
The playgrounds are open.
The equipment is cleaned with a disinfectant and we are limiting numbers to ensure that the play areas are used safely, in line with national guidance.
Our playgrounds and equipment will not be supervised and we are requesting that all visitors are courteous and responsible. There will be guidance around the playgrounds for everyone’s protection.
- Please regularly sanitize your hands
- Maintain social distancing
- Please do not eat or drink near or in the playgrounds
Dogs are welcome in our grounds and gardens. Please ensure dogs are kept on a lead in designated areas and that you continue to follow guidance around social distancing if you choose to visit the park.
We request that visitors follow the below guidance to protect everyone:
- Please wash or sanitize your hands on entry and exit
- Maintain social distancing
- If it is busy please wait outside and form a socially distanced queue
We encourage everyone to bring their own hand sanitizer when visiting Lotherton.
The below measures and guidance is in place for the protection of visitors and staff:
- The café is open on a takeaway basis, from 12th March we will also have outdoor seating available.
- We have a one way route and social distancing guidance in place
- We prefer contactless payments but accept cash
- We are not currently accepting reusable cups to ensure the safety of our café staff
- There are benches and plenty of grassy areas for seating around the grounds
We request that you wear a face covering in our indoor spaces including our café takeaway service and toilets.
Mobility scooter hire
Mobility scooters are available to hire. Please call 0113 378 2976 the day before arrival to book.
Events and Exhibitions
All events are currently postponed until further notice until we are able to put systems in place to ensure the welfare of our staff, members and visitors. The Making Japan exhibition is available to view online.
Protecting our staff
We are maintaining social distancing, wearing face coverings indoors and limiting the number of staff in an area at any one time.
This page was updated on 8 April 2021.